Monday, 16 March 2009

Neuquén and Bariloche

Since our last post we travelled from Puerto Madryn to Neuquén to indulge one of our/Frank's passions: dinosaurs! We saw gigantosaurus bones (bigger than T. Rex!) and cycled through the afternoon heat to the site of some giant dinosaur footprints (*a-mazing*). After our evening meal, our waitress drove us to the place we needed to catch our bus: people here are incredibly generous.
Bariloche provided a haven of a hostel that had been recommended to us by Robbie and Carol, some backpackers we met in El Chaltén. Penthouse 1004 was super-friendly and helpful which was good because Frank immediately came down with a soaring temperature and had to stay in bed a couple of days (as promised, travelling is not always plain sailing).
First night in Bariloche, we went to a concert which was part of an international tango festival being held there this year. Some of the performers were incredible (two young brothers who played devilishly difficult guitar together, a Peruvian cantante with masses of personality and two dancing pairs who wove tension and wit into their performances); some weren´t quite so great (a lot of wailing songs with over-emphasis on the words corazon, souffrir and mourir).
After finishing off In Patagonia (thanks Julie!), I met two very nice girls to spend the day with: Niamh (Irish) and Michelle (US). However, after a trip up to a viewpoint to see over Bariloche (which is truly stunningly gorgeous), Niamh got set upon by two guys trying to nick her backpack. She screamed and kicked, and Michelle and I flapped in their general direction, so they ran off pretty sharpish (with a net loss: one of them lost their sunglasses in the scuffle). It was a scary incident, but Niamh was very self-possessed and we spent a really great evening afterwards, talking and steadying our nerves over a bottle or two of malbec.
Frank was feeling ok-ish by the next day and we decided to attempt the hike to Refugio Frey. This involved getting a cable car to the top of a mountain, climbing over and along a ridge for 3 hours, along scree slopes and over rocks with soaring pinnacles above and a sheer slope for 500m down on the right...then a couple of sharp descents and finally reaching the Refugio (a very basic hut with one dorm full of mattresses on the floor). What a rush. The scrambling was great fun and the sight of the Refugio warmed the cockles no end. We camped outside to save money, but during the night the wind came up, and the tent was virtually flattened. Frank heroically braved the dust-storm several times to try and secure the tent, but we bailed at dawn and tottered over the Refugio who welcomed us in to kip on the mattresses for a couple of hours.
The next day, after a couple of bowls of porridge mixed with grit blown in by the winds, we hiked back down the mountain. We got a good night's sleep in a campsite just outside town and then returned to Bariloche for a (we felt) well-deserved asado (grill) dinner.
The hike completely sorted Frank's health and he's back to normal.
We're now in Mendoza, planning our next step. We'll probably tour some vineyards tomorrow, getting between them by bike.
Love to all,
Em and Frank x

16 comments:

  1. Hej hej, sorry to hear that Frank has been unwell. Hope all is better now. Travelling can take a toll, it's true. And sounds like Em has had her own trials and tribulations! Glad to hear that you were ok.

    Enjoy the vineyards, and take your time :)

    Love C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oxalá estejas já mesmo bem, Francis! Tenham cuidado, comam bem.
    Parabéns, Em, por terem ganho a luta com o ladrão!
    Já fez ontem um mês que partiram. Parece tanto tempo...
    Eu estou agora em Coimbra com a Guida. Um beijo para vós, e fiquem bem
    X X X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What danger and excitement! Now I am imagining you as a Clint Eastwood type vigilante, scaring off future petty thieves through strategic exposition of the sunglasses of one of their brethren. Well, Clint Eastwood would've growled and used a gun too, but when you're number 2 you have to try harder.

    Keep safe and don't fall off any mountains/get eaten by dinosaurs/swept away in any storms.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Testing ... as my Google Account seems to be having a bad day and keeps getting confused about not just my password but its own URL. Lots of love, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo, what I wanted to say was, what scary times you're having: I don't know which sounds more alarming, the scree precipices, the thieving types or nocturnal dust storms, but I'm proud of you both and a little nervous of what strong characters you'll both be when you return. Me, I've had my woodburning stove installed today and am planning a mammoth piece of patchwork.
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still sounds marvelous - apart from the illness. I still don;t know whether I'm more jealous of the fact you saw penguins or armadillos - two of my favourite ever comedy animals...
    Apologies for the long silence - for some reason my work computer won't let me post comments.
    Hope the vineyards were enjoyable - were you tasting or drinking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you turn the blog into a best-selling travelogue, this episode will have to entitled 'True Grit' -- a reference to the porridge, of course. Hope the winetasting is also on an heroic scale. Love, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  8. @HoppingBunny: Thanks, they were tough days at the time, but have now assumed a rosy glow of nostalgia. Hope that you're doing well and that Dad's birthday was good. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Olá Mama, já estou bem. Só precisava voltar ao ar livre nas montanhas.
    Em diz obrigada!
    Tambem marcamos o mes fora - mas para nos nao parece tempo nenhum. Oxalá que o tempo passe mais devagar.
    (difícil escrever em Português quando estou sempre a falar espanhol).
    Grandes xis para ti e a Guida (e todos),
    F&EX

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Harriet: Thanks darling - the amount of courage I displayed was zero to negligible. The sunglasses would, alas, have helped with the descriptions later at the police station. I said they were dark-haired wearing red or pink; Michelle, that they were fair wearing stripy green tops. How the cops were to investigate (as I'm sure the case warranted) with these kinds of witnesses I don´t know. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anna O'Malley: We're very excited about the wood-burning stove and I imagine Monty is too. I shall bring my patchwork over to Silverwood and we can do it together when I'm back. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Clare: Know what you mean. Penguins are funny when they're moving (nothing funnier than a penguin in a hurry) but Armadillos have these cute little teddy bear legs. It's a tough call...
    We were tasting and drinking, but not too much - lucky as we were on bikes. Much more in the next nail-biting blog instalment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Rick: And your comment will be entitled 'True wit'! More on the tasting to come, plus tango: Frank and I are catching you and Mum up by one lesson. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yo guys great to hear this news... I'd give my back brontosaurus teeth to catch glimpse of dinosaur footprints... none at all to be seen in WC1, not even in 'The Brunswick Centre'. Sounds a bit tricky with the folks though glad they seemed to get their comeuppance. Btw, a complete stranger tried to befriend me today on 'facebook' - what should I DO, guys? Hope you've had a lovely time since the 16th... Debs is in Poland for a couple of days (these teachers tsk) but were she here she'd add some of these kisses x xx x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Obrigada pelo vosso comentário do dia 21.
    Agora já estou em Lisboa, mas por pouco tempo. Vou com a Fá para Vilamoura no dia 2, e lá passaremos a Páscoa. Depois regresso a 17, pois Catarina vem cá nesse fim de semana.
    Todos perguntam por vós, e mandam saudades com desejos de que corra sempre tudo como desejais.
    Um beijinho muito grande, cheio de muitas saudades!
    X X X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, also: Em, I had a message from Jan Payne the other day saying that, as we're missing this choir reunion bonanza,could we let her know what we were up to. I have provided a paragraph summing up my own (wildly exciting and glamorous) life which I suppose will go in some small bookletty thing to be distributed to attendees. Do you want me to provide the same for you? And if so what shall I say? Or would you rather not tell Jan anything about your life at all?
    Hope you are still having lots of fun. Spring has finally sprung here so things are less grey, but I am still jealous as hell of all your exploits.
    xC

    ReplyDelete