Sunday, 8 March 2009

Cueva de las Manos

After Fitz Roy we went to the Cueva de las Manos. This was in the middle of nowhere, on the Patagonian steppe. We take back what we said about buses being great - this one was 12 hours of boredom up the famous Ruta 40, of Che G fame.


The Cueva was worth it. The paintings are on the wall of the cliff, under an overhang. This first picture shows the view of the site as we hiked towards it from the canyon beneath. In the approach we saw lots of wild animals: Guanacos (llama-like creatures), rheas (like ostriches), the cutest armadillo and flamingos.


You can get the standard photos anywhere on the web - these show that even in 7000 BC, South Americans had a sense of humour.
The first (in black), shows a Guanaco (the tribes' main food), chasing people rather than the other way round.





The second photo shows a handprint with 5 fingers (either it's real, or this bloke's just messing - which do you think?)

3 comments:

  1. The book you gave me at Christmas had a whole section about cave paintings with missig/ extra fingers. Even so I think the article ended with the anthropological equivalent of 'go figure'. I like to think that heor she had an extra finger.

    The mountain pictures are beautiful. Very envious.

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cavemen painting and humour...? Now there's an idea, would make a great Radio 4 afternoon play theme. Great penguin video above... I plan to drop all career plans I'm juggling and embark on the long, lonely life of 'the penguin'. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hopping Bunny:
    I´d like to think that it was an extra finger too. Frank would like to think that it was a joke.
    Thought of you often when we´ve been hiking - I think you´d like the places we´ve been and hope that you´ll go to them too. xxx

    ReplyDelete