Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Wildlife at Rurrenabaque



Here's a viddy of the little squirrel monkeys we met on the pampas boat tour.

Unfortunately our photo card has a virus so we can't upload any pics of the dolphins playing with the ball :(

But here are some photos of the Cayman we saw while searching for anacondas (we didn't find them), a Capybara (the largest rodent in the world) parent and child on the banks of the river, and some blue butterfly caterpillars on a tree trunk in the heart of the jungle.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, but the caterpillars are horrible.
    Much love X X X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of a capybara before, but they look rather wonderful. Would they be big enough for a small child to ride on do you think? Maybe with a little saddle?

    Re: your last post. Ru and I went swimming with dolphins when we were in Mexico, but I found the whole experience a bit tawdry and depressing. I agree with HoppingBunny that it should be spontaneous - you should be out in the middle of the sea on a boat when a school of them swim by or something. We were in a Marina where I felt the dolphns were whoring themselves out in return for fish and the whole thing was geared to selling you overpriced videos of your 'experience'...

    I agree about the 'Find a Bin' song though - it is advice I have followed my whole life. "When you go to the shop/And you buy a penny sweet/ Don't take the wrapper off/ And throw it in the streeeeeet...."

    Everything still sounds amazing (weird dolphins aside) and I am loving the monkey video.
    Much love,
    Clarence xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em
    Fantastic photos! Those monkeys are sooo sweet! Sounds like you're having a really great time (aside from the odd dodgy tummy). Was thinking of you because asparagus season has started so am psyching myself up to do some picking before work (why it should make me think of you I'm not sure...). Everything OK here, though we're missing you, obviously. Weather too good to be sitting behind bars in LTS, even if it is the OU's 40th birthday today. Hope amongst all the dolphins and exotic fauna you are finding time to Listen Again to the Archers. I just despair of that idiot Tom (dumping Brenda) but jolly pleased about Ed's prospective tenancy of Grange Farm. We all knew he'd come good, didn't we?

    Take care
    Penny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Clare: You would have loved the capybaras. They were like massive guinea pigs crossed with actual pigs and would definitely seat a small child/unkind adult.
    I've thought of Bill Bailey's thing about swimming with dolphins a lot: the equivalent of an Indonesian saying to a farmer in England 'Can I get in with the cows?' 'Why?' 'I just want to scuffle about with them...'
    I've always sang 'sticky sweet' not 'penny sweet', and I grieve that you have forgotten the 'Find a bin' song.
    Happy birthday from me and F! I look forward to more Runcible Spoon action.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Penny: Hello! I'm very pleased to hear from you. How did you know I needed my Archers fix! Tom dumping Brenda? Why? She was the best thing that ever happened to him. But good news about Ed.
    I'm glad that the weather's good in England. Will there be some 40th birthday celebrations at the OU? I hope I haven't missed them all. Look forward to catching up when I get back (there are some slightly disappointing chocolate puddings with our names on them). x

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Isabel: Oh no, the caterpillars were cute and furry, and wiggled a lot. I'm sure you would have liked them. x

    ReplyDelete