We also tried some of their 96% alcohol, which they drink on Fridays... they spill some on the floor to Pachamama, the earth deity, and some to the devil, and then get super-drunk (one of the biggest reasons for accidents is drunkenly falling down holes!)
They worship the devil (they call him Tio, uncle) as he's underground, and he owns the mountain and all the minerals within it. They need him onside to not cause cave-ins, etc.
We then went to an ore refinery (not worth mentioning here, but interesting in a boffin kind of way), then off to the mine.
We stooped and clambered along the tiny path that is the top level of the mine, most of the time not having head room to stand. This mine is one of the few that have electrical and pneumatic equipment, so often we had to duck even lower, under were dodgy-looking cables and hissing pipes. The floor was often slippery, as wet season has just finished and there's still lots of water around. The dust was amazing - I had a mask, but it still tasted very strong.
The first stop in the mine was a museum, with various exhibits of equipment, statues of Tio, with offerings of cigarettes etc, and information about miners. One was quite stark: 90% of miners do it because there isn't any other work. The dust in the air is silica and asbestos, and most miners die of silicosis... if the cave-ins don't get them first.
We climbed up through a small opening into a cave above the top level with an electric winch. This is where buckets of rocks are hauled up from the lower levels and dumped into a rudimentary hopper above the tiny train. The dust was even worse here, as the two miners there were smashing up rocks. They were remarkably chipper, joking with the guide and with us.
At this point, with the exertion of climbing up and the rarified air I started to hyperventilate, and couldn't control my breathing with the dust and the mask, and the winch was making a constant screech that wired straight into my panic reflexes. So I asked to leave, keeping control, and after an explanation and watching for a bit more, I headed off out of the mine. The rest of the group went on down tiny slippery shafts to 2 more levels, and met miners bashing holes into the rocks to dynamite.
The miner who led me out is studying at university - but works the mines during the holidays to provide for his young child (it's the only job).
For my part I'm glad I left when I did - the lack of oxygen combined with physical exertion and dust, along with slippery and enclosed conditions, made me feel panic like I haven't done for a long time.
While I was waiting I chatted to the bus driver - he told me that dynamite is completely legal in Potosi - even 5 year olds can buy it. He believes this is safer as all miners have dynamite in their houses anyway - making it taboo would cause children to want to play with it. That said there are around 2 non-miner dynamite deaths a year.
After the group got out, we had a demo blast. You'd think that was controlled. Nope... the guides got us to mix up the dynamite, then stuck in the fuse and lit it. They then put the smouldering dynamite in their mouths, and threw it between the groups. Needless to say, I ran a mile - behind the nearest house. After they'd had their fill of play, they ran off and left the dynamite around 50m away. When they went off, my chest shook.
So all in all, a weird experience.

A vossa visita á mina deixou-me branca...
ReplyDeleteNão admira que a Em se sentisse mal. Eu nem lá entrava...
Espero que estejais bem agora.
Daí ides para o Perú (quer dizer, para o Turkey...)?
Nós cá continuamos no Algarve contes da vidinha.
Um xi muito grande, e uma Santa Páscoa
X X X
contes quer dizer... contentes
ReplyDeleteX X X
My god the mine sounds scary. Really interesting, but in a taking-your-life-in-your-hands kind of way. Leaving a little early sounds wise...
ReplyDeleteBut Em, tell us more about the telenovelas! Any inspirations for names we could call the baby? Or might she resent that as she grows up? Perhaps I better aim more high-brow.
@Harriet: I feel bad hijacking Frank's 'harsh realities of life in the mines' post with telenovelas, but they are fantastic. I'm not sure I followed enough of the plot to gather any baby names for you, but there were some great scenes:
ReplyDelete• A man and woman are about to marry. At the last moment, his mobile phone rings.'¿Que?...No!!!' He rushes from the altar, as she shouts '¡Ricardo! Ricardooooo!'
• A man is turned down by the woman he loves. In the next scene, he goes into a bathroom and cries and splashes his face with water (accompanied by sad music) for about two minutes straight. A lazy day for the script writers.
• A waiter gets drunker and drunker sipping the whisky he's supposed to be giving out at a swish dinner party (accompanied by comedy music).
Em x