Saturday, 18 April 2009

From Rurrenabaque with love

Em here again.

Since our last post, we've made a trip to Copacabana and the Isla del Sol to do some trekking and see some cool Inca stuff. We trekked round to the headland nearest IdS, then hired our own little boat to take us across... it was great talking to the locals finding out about all the crops we walked past. The Inca sites in IdS were labyrinthine ruins but not overly impressive because you couldn't get a feel for the people who lived there. Back in Copacabana, we hired a motorbike and took it to the headland, repeating the trek we'd done earlier. There were incredible views and heartstopping drops, and I had my first motorbike lesson (the important manoveure of 'straight into a ditch'). We also indulged in some coca-leaf chewing (makes your tongue go numb and green).

From Copacabana we went back to La Paz for some very nice R'n'R. We took a day trip to Tiwanaku to see an archeological site that pre-dates the Incas. It was a bit disappointing (the site will be restored in 17 years according to our guide), but the museum was good. It contained quite a few skulls that had been deliberately deformed. In Tiwanakan society, having a skull that peaked in a cone at the back set you in a high social class. Thus, children had boards strapped to their heads to encourage their skulls to grow in that direction. Then they had epilepsy and headaches which need some nasty operations to relieve. I have mixed feelings about the display of human remains in museums, but these were undeniably fascinating.

We left La Paz for Rurrenabaque (where we are now) to pursue some jungle adventures. Up until then we'd only been to the highlands, but we wanted to see the lowlands with their rich vegetation and diversity of animals.

The 18-hour trip to Rurrenabaque was one of our most eventful. The road was only just wide enough for the bus, with a sheer drop on the side we were sitting. I watched the twisty turns in dreadful curiosity until a few close shaves convinced me that the curtain would be better shut. Add to this, the fellow in front of us glugging neat rum then cuba libre for the first few hours, before lurching around, distracting the driver and vomiting everywhere. On a more conservative note, I couldn't believe how much rubbish got thrown out of the bus windows. My days of singing the 'Find a bin' song at primary school had not prepared me for this. The girl in front threw out every plastic bag she could find, a glass bottle and eventually bags of sick produced by the drunk guy - a blessed relief in that case.

In Rurrenabaque, happy to be alive, we got on the bumpiest three-hour jeep ride to the middle of the pampas for our first tour. Aside from the mosquito invasion and a very loud tour party of gap year kids, we had a lovely time. We saw many wonderful birds (including the Hoatzin, which has its own order and family, snail kites and kingfishers), monkeys (howler, capuchin and squirrel), capybaras (like massive water-dwelling guinea pigs), caymans and pink dolphins. We swam with pink dolphins on the second day, knowing its one of those things people rave about doing. Ok, I got out after about two minutes of freaking out every time something touched me under the murky brown water, but Frank stayed in for about 20 minutes, squealing when his feet were nibbled and throwing a ball for them.

Tomorrow we'll set off on another tour, in the jungle this time, that will focus more on plants and insects. For this evening, we're back in civilisation and are off in search of good food and cocktails. Love to all.

12 comments:

  1. Tão interessante! Graças a Deus tudo acabou bem, depois das viagens por estradas difíceis.
    A Copacabana que visitaram era no Brasil, ou há outra na Bolívia?
    Um beijinho grande, e até sempre X X X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing stuff and I'm glad I didn't know you were on the bus! Is that all the coca leaf did? Disappointing. The monkeys and birds sound fantastic; the mosquitoes ditto but in a different way; I'd have been with Em on the dolphins: actually I don't like them the way most people do: I think they have a silly grin. Whales are good, though, in my book. Are you getting fatter with all the cocktails or thinner with the exercise?

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All sounds good, though the mine in the prevous post sounded like a bad experience. W and I were in the Brecon Beacons last weekend. Photos on Facebook. W saw a dead pony but kindly led me away from it, and we saw tadpoles on the top of a hill in a puddle. So you are not the only people with all the new experiences!
    I have a great photo of a capybara from Rotterdam Natural History Museum... Big cheesy grin on its face.
    So were the dolphins fun? I had a conversation with a woman recently, where we agreed that we would like to swim with dolphins, but wanted it to be spontaneous. I don't see them swimming up Norbury Brook to swim with me anytime soon. That said, I think I would do it too. Were the dolphind nibbling you toes, or ws it somethig else? Pirhanas? (sp.)
    Love to you both, C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motorbikes in ditches; green tongues; careering buses with sick bags hurled from them; dolphin hilarity.

    Are you sure you're not in a South American version of "Last of the Summer Wine"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you're in a country where socialism is still popular, though it looks as though some revolutionary rigour stll needs to be brought to bear on the laissez-faire dynamiters and litter louts. HoppingBunny nearly saw a dead pony in Wales; we did see two dead sheep in Dorset and neither of them was Geoffrey Howe (apologies for a political allusion almost as ancient as the Incas). So you see, old Blighty is as exciting as ever; however will you cope with it when you get back? Love, Rick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anna O'Malley: I'm not sure if we're losing weight or putting it on (you can judge when we come back). We're going to be doing a five-day trek to Macchu Piccu in a couple of days that should burn a few calories (it's rated as 'challenging', but Frank and I were feeling rather gung-ho the day we booked it). The coca was fairly useless - it's supposed to help acclimatise you to the high altitudes - but we may have another go. Love to all at home! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. @HoppingBunny: I hope that you had a nice time hill-walking! The landscape here has sometimes reminded me of Britain in a pleasant way. I hope you like the picture of the capybaras that Frank's posted up. They're fabulous!
    I'm glad to have tried swimming with dolphins, but it really was freaky. Frank says that they kept nibbling his feet and they have really sharp teeth. Love to you and W! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ubu: Aren't you too young for Last of the Summer Wine? I hope that you and J are prospering! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rick: There were some more explosions this morning that suggested another demonstration was afoot in La Paz.
    Apart from Frank's savaging by pink dolphins (does that sound like a euphemism?), we are unscathed and looking forward to returning to Blightly after some more trekking adventures. Watch this space! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. @IsabelMaria: Esta Copacabana está na Bolivia, perto da fronteira com Perú. Grandes beijos, F&E x

    ReplyDelete
  11. And why is the hoatzin in a genus and species all by itself. Why, ask Francis' dad who had to give an entire lecture at Aberdeen on the 'stinky cowbird'

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Michael: Frank and I found that bird fascinating; you must re-hash the 'stinky cowbird' lecture for us on our return. x

    ReplyDelete