Wednesday, 8 April 2009

Recent photos

This is the view of Saturn from San Pedro de Atacama - my camera's got excellent zoom. (through a telescope really). The rings are flat on at the moment, so you can get an idea of how incredibly thin they are (only 200m across).


Ubu, we've cottoned on to the latest craze. Here is F jumping over a fumarole.


And we just couldn't resist again - this is the Laguna Verde - you can't see so well in the picture, but the mountains were perfectly clearly reflected in the sheer smooth surface. Beautiful.


Two of the weirdest, cutest types of animal we've ever set eyes upon, at the deep red Laguna Colorada.


Our tour group at the Isla del Incahuasi, the island in the middle of the Salar de Uyuni. You can see the salt flat stretching out for miles in the background.

3 comments:

  1. Woh, photos of Saturn! I am beyond impressed! Down, inner sci-fi geek, down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturn looks like the culturally insensitive drawings one did as a 6-year-old: Q: What's this? [Something similar to Saturn side-on.] A: A Mexican riding a bike.

    Thanks for upstaging me with sublime jumping photos. You're having such wonderful adventures while sweeping aside the odd bug and I am jealous. I have had to cancel a camping holiday as a result of gammying up a rib/spine joint, partly through emptying the dishwasher.

    Those salt flats look even saltier than Polish pretzel sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ubu: Thanks for commenting - I'd secretly hoped jumping photos would flush you out of retirement. Although I don't think they're anything on yours. How do you get such height and poise? However, do they lead to gammying of joints? If so, I think I'll stop.
    We licked the salt flats and our salt hotel, and they were indeed very salty.
    Been happily remembering the Today costume department YouTube clip in dull moments...

    ReplyDelete