Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Puerto Iguazú

Hola blogsters,

We´ve been three days in Puerto Iguazú.

First, a word about Argentinian coach travel. It´s fantastic! We had wonderful beds, good food, wine and, most importantly, a triple bill of Will Smith films to while the night away. In the morning they put on a film written by and starring Dolph Lundgren, but I didn´t care. I was disappointed when we arrived (which says something about my attitude to adventure).

The hostel here at Iguazú is great. A big pool, free internet (if you´re prepared to queue your life away) and friendly people.

We´ve been all around the national park (Frank´s a completist) doing lots of hikes and going under some of the falls in a speedboat. After seeing lots of the Iguazú falls at different angles, we saw the breathtaking Devil´s Throat falls - you´ve got to see them to believe them!

Today we also took part in Iguazú Xtreme (bear with me) which involved a walk through the forest with a guide showing us medicinal plants, edible plants (nettles are nice) and Guarani trapping techniques. Then we went rock climbing, along zip lines and abseiling. Finally, we went for a boat trip to the centre point between Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil. We had a lovely guide, Naruel, who made the whole morning fun.

After this, we went to an orchid display and saw hummingbirds. Then we went back to the national park and took a long hike. This time we ended up at a smaller waterfall (30m tall) and natural pool where we could swim. We took a shower under the fall: it was exhiliarating! On the way back, we saw wild guinea pigs grazing on the lawn (that´s for Miss Page if she´s reading and anyone who remembers the sweet Ikbeano).

Love to all at home.

Em and Frank

9 comments:

  1. It all sounds so wonderful! I am so happy you are having an amazing time. It gets better and better!!!
    Were the nettles cooked? About 3 weeks ago we had nettle soup in Coimbra. I must say that I found it a bit strange.
    We are well, hope you are too. Have fun.
    Where do you go next?
    Missing you lots, Love X X X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am entranced by the idea of herds (flocks?) of wild guinea pigs. I imagine them squeaking contentedly to themselves. Did they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeez... this is a pile of experience I can almost picture some of these things... but obviously can't very well. Devils throat waterfalls, eh... weren't they in Twin Peaks? Sorry... last rubbish TV show reference until... eh, May. Good question above - do nettles lose thier sting when picked/cooked? Contrastingly, I spent yesterday getting my fix of personality measurement education by taking a popular anxiety test. Be reassured to learn, as I did, that I'm only slightly (within 1 standard deviation) of the norm. ARGGHGHGHHGHHH explains everything. Now you lot - WRAP UP WARM. Seriously, take care and continue having fun Domenzo xx x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... so overnight on a coach. I can barely do a coach ride from the campus to the station! Perhaps it's because there's no Will Smith triple-bill to keep me distracted? Importantly, were the films subtitled or were they dubbed in Spanish?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Isabel: No, the nettles weren´t cooked - the guide tore the stings off and we ate it straight . We also ate a couple of fruits from the floor which were like tiny mangoes. Tasty! We´ll try and be better about saying where we´re going to go next. Lots of love, Frank and Em x

    ReplyDelete
  6. @HoppingBunny and Dom: The guinea pigs ran away too quickly for us to find out, despite our attempts to rush up and hug them. Dom, the rubbish tv show references *keep* us warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Gabe: Good question! They were dubbed. Three Will Smith films, different Will Smith voices in each. Weird, man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guinea pigs don't actually squeak: if you listen carefully, it is much more like a falsetto 'oink' - which is why they are called pigs - seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ola chicos!
    Wow, you've done so much already - got as far as your trip to Iguazu and had to stop you and congratulate you on the rock-sailing and abseiling part; extreme sports in extreme places-pretty damn fine people!
    yeah, bus films. Saw lots of Jackie Khan.. Been a fan of him ever since!
    All sounds awesome - can't wait to 4 pics xx

    ReplyDelete